Friday, April 16, 2010

Update on Kendall Suh's Ankle Surgery

Brothers and Sisters,
Thanks for your prayers, emails, calls, and cards for me and my ankle surgery, which is the first surgery I have ever had.
Everything went very well. After sawing my fibula and flipping it out of the way for access, Dr. Linz cleaned out the softened cystic and diseased bone of my talus. He stated that it was actually worse than my latest MRI. Dr. Linz painstakingly spent quite a bit of time shaping and molding the bone graft until it fit perfectly. He was excited to show EJ the photos of how well the graft fit in place such that it is hard to even tell that it is a bone graft.
I declined a nerve block for pain control and was able to tolerate the pain post surgically without even taking any pain medication. Although I had throbbing pain, and woke up frequently ,it was tolerable. After 24 hours the pain was much decreased although I was still in a fog from general anesthesia. I have spent time painstakingly camped out in the family room with an air mattress which I use on missions trips as my bed with my ankle propped up on an ottoman. I have kept my ankle above my heart for 99.99% of the time since my surgery so that swelling will be reduced. EJ, Rachel and my mother and father-in-law have sacrificially served me in my incapacitation.
I and my team around me have great faith that the Lord will provide an excellent result so that I can continue to serve Him in medical missions. I thank you very, very much for your care, concern, and most of all, your prayers.
Kendall Suh

No comments: